Canonical developed and released a Smart TV Operating System named as Ubuntu TV. It is based on the new Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise Pangolin). It makes use of the Unity as its user Interface, built with Qt application framework.
Technical specifications and requirements
Ubuntu TV benefits from the comprehensive hardware support that’s always been a hallmark of Ubuntu for PCs. Highlights include:
- Support for ARM and x86 boards1
- Local storage support for DVR functionality2
- Minimum disk space: 2GB
- Minimum memory: 1GB
- Minimum video memory: 512 MB
- CEC support
- Digital audio out
- Hardware accelerated video capable of displaying content at 1080p3
- Network connectivity: Gigabit Ethernet & Wireless b/g/n
- USB host support
- Bluetooth HCI interface
- Modular tuner for broadcast TV (Satellite, Cable, Terrestrial)
Terrestrial broadcast in US and EU standard formats, for standard or high definition content, with integrated electronic programme guides.
Integrate your cable or satellite service into Ubuntu TV, to provide a unified customer experienc.
Ubuntu TV integrates online content providers to offer a diverse catalogue of movies, TV shows and music straight from the Internet.
Second-screen experiences are an emerging trend in broadcast television.